Thursday 29 November 2012

Assignment 1: Course Reflection


Learning events:

Access

Initially I thought access only applied to when and how often students came into the library. Access is a multi-faceted idea where students can physically, intellectually and digital access the library. With the growing push in society to be data centered, students need to know how to interact with the library's print and digital resources. I have been developing a unit for the intermediates, introducing them to the various e-resources available. Our students should be independent inquires.
Access to the library physically means students have the opportunity to visit the space during class time and spread out. They enjoy the welcoming area, and get in touch with our resources. Classroom teachers are coming regularly, to book time. This is a very exciting time for our library!

MARC Records

MARC records made me anxious. I now, however, have a greater appreciation for what our District Learning Commons works towards. The staff at the DLC takes the time to enter our MARC records. Without our centralized data entry, the teacher librarians would have another hat. This not-so-simple task really takes stress away from the teacher librarians and allows us to focus on educating.

Catalog Organization

Our new catalog system is wonderful! Students can search books easily. They can get all the access information they require, and see an image of the cover! I have many students who struggle with the Dewey Decimal system. This catalog is really helping them find their way around the library. I am introducing them to searching database.

Self-assessment
I have found this semester difficult to balance. Usually when I am enrolled in a university course I spend a great deal of time focused on the content. This term, however, I have been fully immersed in my library and the endless possibilities of learning. This course has made me think about ways to make the library more organized and accessible to my students. I am currently working with the library club to create posters to help direct students to commonly requested resources. These additions should encourage library independence.
I have tried to stay on top of the readings and participate in the discussion boards; therefore I would self-assessment myself as a good participant. I used my time wisely and participated when, and where I could. As I have been very focused on adjusting to my new position, given the time I have spent I have participated well. I commented on 10 / 13 discussion boards, and commented on several people's comments, though this was not as regular as it should have been. I did my best to participate as often as my job would allow.

Resources used:

The ERAC publication is often referred to in our district. Several of our Teacher librarians work with ERAC to evaluate resources. The ERAC document helps support information literacy development by providing specific guidelines when looking at new resources. This document lays out checklists that teacher librarians can access, and evaluate their own resources. This sets a high standard for resources. It allows us to ask ourselves, "If a resource does not follow the criteria is it worth being in the collection?"
I value the suggestions of my colleagues especially those involved in the ERAC process. They are taking the time to look at new resources and decide if they should be used.

The ODLIS is a dictionary database that allowed me to quickly search terms I was unfamiliar with. As mentioned, I did not understand the full scope of access when I started the course. I used ODLIS to search Assess as a keyword. The database provided a dictionary definition, and also provided several "See Also" terms. Having access to the dictionary allowed for quick more clarification of unclear terms.

I felt like MARC records were going to be my end in this course. I did not understand the framework. I understood that they were necessary for cataloging, organized resource data, and that they provide a standard format for library catalog organization. This allows all libraries to sort and catalog their resources in the same fashion and provides consistency throughout the library world. They also allowed the user to search various search parameters. I, however, did not understand their own organization, until using the Library of Congress website. I took the time to read through the various chapters. They familiarize me with the order and the corresponding MARC tags.

Summary
Overall, this course has provided me with a better foundation for organizing the collection, and has presented the multiple layers involved in functioning libraries. We cannot simply stick our books on the shelf. There is a process, and the organization ensures our libraries will be more accessible in all areas.


No comments:

Post a Comment